Monday, April 9, 2012

The Burning House Dream

Dreams can be such strange things...most times, they're just our brain in REM, a normal sleep cycle, but other times, dreams can seem to be much more.  Sometimes they are ways in which we connect to the Other Side, where loved ones can meet, or where we are given premonitions.

Back around 1989, I moved into an old farmhouse just outside of Santa Clara, California.  The place was about 85 years old, and had been built by my landlord's grandfather, who was an Italian immigrant.  According to my landlord, the grapes growing on the property were real wine grapes from Italy, that his grandfather had smuggled across the ocean in his long underwear.  During the Prohibition, his grandfather was able to obtain a permit to make wine in the cellar.  The cellar was loaded with big casks...big enough for me to crawl inside.
I had a few paranormal experiences during the few years that I lived in the house.  The first experience I had was the dream.

It started the very first night I slept in the house, and for a week straight, I had the same dream every night.  The dream played over and over, just like I was rewinding a movie and replaying it.  In my dream, I was standing on the sidewalk across the street from my house, watching it as it was engulfed in flames and burned to the ground.  In my dream, nothing survived...all our belongings were gone, except for the clothes on our backs.  The foundation of the home was all that was left, and it was a smoking pit of burning embers and ash.

Every morning I would tell my then husband about my dream...being openminded about such things, after the third night, he said, "We'd better keep our eyes open for anything that might cause a fire".  One night, after a week of having this dream, I was in the kitchen making dinner.  My ex husband was in the living room watching tv, but then I heard him moving around, and sort of talking to himself.  After a couple of minutes, he called out to me to come to the living room.  When I walked in, I saw that he had moved the tv and was behind it.  As I walked in, he looked up at me and said, "Hey, you know that dream you've been having?  I think I found out why".  Then he showed me the outlet in the wall for the tv.  He'd removed the plate, and the wiring behind it was all very old, and wadded up in a big bunch.  The insulation was worn and peeling and there were a number of bare copper wires.  He told me that it was a fire just waiting to happen, and said that it needed fixing right away, and he did not wait.  He got up and immediately shut off the power to the house, then went to the hardware store and bought everything he needed to replace the outlet.

That night, I did not dream about the house burning down, nor did I ever have that dream again during the next four years that we lived there.

No comments:

Post a Comment